Removing an internal door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, first post on here and maybe I’m being silly but I can’t figure out how to remove my internal door to the kitchen (I need to get a big fridge in).

On my old doors I was able to knock a pin from the bottom, remove and pull the door up and off without touching the screws on the hinges, but on my newer doors the pins don’t look like they come out ? Any help greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy , (ask a stupid question!) I was hoping to avoid having to remove the 12 screws in case I manage to bugger the alignment somehow and liked the ‘knock the pin out’ option of the old doors , I take it these hinges leave me with no option ?!

Dave, the vast majority of hinges used in the UK are of the "trapped pin" variety. If yours are the "trapped pin" variety they cannot be converted. You can buy hinges with a knock-out pin, but depending on where you shop they aren't always an off the shelf item. I can't recall a single job I've been on in the last 10 years where they have been specified, other than a couple where I was installing rising hinges; these are always "drop-on" types with the hinge pin permanently fixed to the door jamb leaf of the hinge. In fact with washered or ball bearing hinges IDK how you could have a removeable pin

Unscrew the hinge from the jamb of the frame/casing but leave the hinges attached to the door. When replacing you'll need a prybar and maybe a block of wood to lift the door so you can get the first screw (in the top hinge in), then get one in the bottom hinge and it is plain sailing after that

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies that’s so helpful, doesn’t seem so bad the way you explain it, much appreciated :)

I make a point of buying lift-off hinges. They are usually a bit more expensive, but if you ever want to take a door off, the effort saved makes it worthwhile. Quick and easy and you do not lose alignment.

mine are mostly fire hinges, which are very thick and strong, they have a phosphor-bronze bearing and swing very easily. There is a chance you can get some that fit your existing screw pattern if you want to swap them.

I also got some PVD stainless ones, of more average thickness, and used some of them on the shed, the brassed finish has resisted weather and remains bright.

I've used loose-pin hinges, but they were not of such good quality.

Thanks JohnD that’s good to know , I’ll keep that in mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back