Removing an old shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to saw through the pipe to lift out an old shower tray as the previous owner had gummed up the joints with mastic and allsorts of c*@p. As I'm replacing the shower with one over the bath what do I do with the rest of the waste pipe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So instead of the shower tray, you are installing a bath?

Re-new the waste pipe completely if you can, its best not to join on to the old waste if you can re-new it. If you have to join it on to the old waste pipe, give it a good rodding first. It could have a fair bit of gunge in it.

Lee-King said:
So instead of the shower tray, you are installing a bath?

]

No. The bathroom already had a bath, basin and shower crammed into a relatively small space so I'm replacing the bath with a slightly bigger one, removing the shower altogether (replacing it with a bath/shower mixer over the bath) and shifting the basin over a little to give a more spacious feel. The bath and basin have a waste pipe and I'm not sure where the shower waste connects to as I haven't been able to lift up the floorboards with the bath still in situ.

Sponsored Links
You need to get under those floorboards and see how it runs. If it has nothing tee'ing into it (basin/bath etc), cut it back as far as you can and cap it off. If it tee's into the bath waste pipe, cut out the tee and replace with a straight bit of pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back