Removing Bathroom Floorboards But Wall Sits between Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

We are refitting our bathroom and I wanted to take up the floorboards to replace the entire floor with 25mm ply in order to attempt a solid finish for tiling.

The wall between the landing and the bathroom is brick and is about 2.4 meters long. When removing a floor board to inspect underneath I noticed that the wall is sitting on the boards almost central between 2 joists. (take a look at the pics, not sure if they really show what I mean)

Clearly removing the boards up to the wall will cause a support issue. So im not entirely sure what to do, I thought about maybe running a 2x4 and fixing under the boards, directly below the wall and then bracing with noggins, would that work? Any other ideas?

Many thanks

Jay

Sponsored Links
In a situation whereby a stud wall falls betwixt floor joists you would fix a series of noggins from joist to joist, say 600mm apart for the length of the wall.

Remove some of the floor boards, enough for say two noggs and fix your noggs. Do this for the length of the wall.

Alternatively fix a thinner ply to the existing floor boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back