Removing bay window for cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to remove the bay window to make room for a driveway. The neighbours have a different house design with flat windows and they're able to keep their cars in front.

I wanted to ask if this is possible and roughly how much it would cost. Not sure if it makes a difference but this is in London.

I've attached a picture below.

Any insight would be much appreciated :).

B3D75896-9EA9-407D-A52A-BA55EA510ED6.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
First thing to check is if you'll get permission for dropped kerb.
If it can be made into a flat window then yes a dropped kerb should be fine. I'd still double-check with the council though for sure but shouldn't be a problem as the neighbours with flat windows have dropped kerbs.

D475A3B6-D876-437B-92AF-F0E70098E5B0.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It's certainly possible, but you'll need to get several local quotes from experienced people.

The work is relatively straightforward, but the most important thing is to get it all to match in sympathetically afterwards - the brickwork and if removing the window and canopy. Otherwise it will look crap and devalue your home.

Potentially you might be able to keep the window and canopy and use brackets. Or keep the canopy and having a bow window.

Several options with different costs.

It's certainly possible, but you'll need to get several local quotes from experienced people.

The work is relatively straightforward, but the most important thing is to get it all to match in sympathetically afterwards - the brickwork and if removing the window and canopy. Otherwise it will look crap and devalue your home.

Potentially you might be able to keep the window and canopy and use brackets. Or keep the canopy and having a bow window.

Several options with different costs.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Glad it's not too complex and there are options.

Do you think I'd need a supporting beam of any sort and planning permission? It doesn't look load-bearing since it's on the ground floor only but I'm no structural engineer haha.

Do you know very roughly how much it might cost?

You won't need a beam. Get local quotes for costs, no one here can give you anything meaningful.

if you have a vehicle with a bonnet, you might be able to retain the bay window and have it supported on corbels or brackets, allowing you to poke the nose of the car underneath and retaining some of the value and appearance of the house.

edit
too slow.

if you have a vehicle with a bonnet, you might be able to retain the bay window and have it supported on corbels or brackets, allowing you to poke the nose of the car underneath and retaining some of the value and appearance of the house.

edit
too slow.

Thank you both for the replies, that's very helpful.

Do you think the value of the house would drop if fitting flat windows even if the brickwork looks uniform?

Thanks

I would think adding an off road parking space would increase the value more than removing a bay, providing it was done well.

Ah that's a shame. I might still want to do it as I want to live here long-term.
The space under the window just seems a bit too small for a car bonnet if opting for the brackets option. I might need smaller windows to do that but then it would just look odd next to the house next door I think.

I would think adding an off road parking space would increase the value more than removing a bay, providing it was done well.
That's what I was hoping for. It does have a rear garage but you have to go down a tight shared path and you have to open and shut the gate to get through which is too much hassle

Thank you both for the replies, that's very helpful.

Do you think the value of the house would drop if fitting flat windows even if the brickwork looks uniform?

Thanks
I would think so yes, however being London some people would like the parking space. Be prepared to arrive home only to find somebody across the enterance. Smart car instead perhaps.

I would think so yes, however being London some people would like the parking space. Be prepared to arrive home only to find somebody across the enterance. Smart car instead perhaps.
Sounds exciting haha
The council will only drop the kerb if you have a certain length in front of the house regardless of which car you have unfortunately

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back