Removing bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for removing bonding plaster from brick? It sure is stubborn javascript:emoticon(':confused:')

Sponsored Links
try steaming it with a wallpaper steamer, will make it melt of then u can chisel it of

Sponsored Links
Found out that a long handle scraper works a treat, the sharp blade cuts right in and under. The reason I'm removing it is because bonding plaster is hydrophilic and draws water through the brickwork which is not a problem if the bonding plaster is a fair way above ground level.

Found out that a long handle scraper works a treat, the sharp blade cuts right in and under. The reason I'm removing it is because bonding plaster is hydrophilic and draws water through the brickwork which is not a problem if the bonding plaster is a fair way above ground level.

Glad you got a solution you're happy with.

As to the hydrophilic bit....had no idea what that meant so did a quick goggle ;)
According to Wikipedia - "A hydrophilic molecule or portion of a molecule is one that is typically charge-polarized and capable of hydrogen bonding, enabling it to dissolve more readily in water than in oil"
Surely you wouldn't get a set plastered wall to dissolve by wetting it? :eek:

Not a chemist, but would be interested if there is any science in this, or someone quoting a term they did not understand.
Heard hygroscopic a few times, which I'd think more appropriate.
Any views?

Yep,, i'm with you Newbie,,, "hygroscopic" as regard to salts/efflorescence affecting Gypsum plasters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back