Removing brass olive from shower solenoid valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to disconnect the CW water feed from the valve and, on re-assembly, it leaked. Can't get to the olive to bodge it with some PTFE tape, as the compression nut is in the way (the short plastic stub that forms the inlet of the solenoid valve doesn't allow much room for an olive and compression nut, so the nut cannot be slid-back to expose the olive).

The only way forwards I can see (apart from replacing the solenoid valve, of course) is to cut-off the compression nut with a cutting disc on a Dremel and then (very carefully) cut-off the olive.

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
If it’s the end I’m thinking of, gentle tapping with a hammer and slotted screwdriver may help to remove it.

Edit: tap one side then other and keep alternating

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Far better than Hawk white (which is just weak putty more or less) a silicone based leak sealing product never without it in my bag.(y)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Picking one of those up tonight... my only concern is the olive might dig into the plastic as it gets pulled-off.

Think it just pulls it off, no digging in. If there's any distortion to the plastic then ptfe would be the way to go on this instance (unless ls-x could do it).

Plastic pipe manufacturers say not to use and type of jointing compounds, copper olive with PTFE tape if required.
Check if ok to use on plastic.

Gas PTFE tape (and that isn't a bodge BTW), 2 wraps of it around the end of the pipe and then it'll push down around the olive when it's fitted into the fitting. It's the end that fits into the fitting that needs the help with the seal as there is no twisting force to shape the faces together properly when being re-used, the nut end that's being tightened down onto the olive should form a watertight seal when they twist together.

Never found LSX to affect any plastic it has come into contact with myself.(y)

Never found LSX to affect any plastic it has come into contact with myself.(y)

I think it’s because plastic is an oil based product, some jointing compounds are oil based therefore could degrade the plastic pipe.

For the same reason they say not to use oil based paints if you paint the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back