Removing brass olives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There’s been a few instances where I’ve wanted to remove/replace an olive and its always been a futile pursuit. I’ve ended up cutting the pipe and welding on a new section of pipe and with that - a fresh olive.

Can someone please advise on the process of removing used olives.

Sponsored Links
Olive remover tool does it nicely. Or cut olive to depth just before you reach copper, then snap off with screwdriver
Are you welding the pipe? Why

Thanks for the prompt response. Do you recommend a particular type/brand?

I was referring to the soldering as welding

Cut diagonally with a hack saw and then wiggle a screwdriver into the groove.

Sponsored Links
Use the jaws of an adjustable spanner set to the width of the pipe, and placed above or below the olive, then tap said spanner with a hammer.

Blup

what size are the olives ???? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Normal size mate... My grinder is always at hand and useful for all sorts of tasks...
I used it yesterday to grind the thread off the end of a length of 12mm studded rod so that it would fit into the arbor of my 5" core cutter and act as a pilot to core cut for a flue from outside to in... Because whilst drilling a pilot from the inside to out, the face brick splayed and left a divot too deep for the normal core pilot to engage into the pilot hole and centre the core when starting the cut... Wish I'd videoed it... Worked a treat and, 5 stories up, on scaffolding, allowed me to stop swearing and get the fu©k on with the job :D

Edit: #threaded rod/ threaded stud... I'm on the wrong end of several bottles of red :p:p

Last edited:
Examples of alternative "olive splitters"...

Mr_Bluto.png
Popeye13.jpg
Arthur_Rudge.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back