removing bricks for airbricks ain't easy

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
that's all.
knackered, and only halfway through. Then need to dig out concrete path on the other side...
using a Katsu SDS drill. Chipping away at mortar, bricks just eventually break up it seems.
Hope not causing any damage ...
everything seems solid as rock though.
24301335_10155991840993980_6964948155156034219_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Beds and perps? I assume bottom and side mortar?

yes + top

If you've got a few to do then it's worth getting a mortar rake

Sponsored Links
For cutting out individual bricks I use one of these on an angle grinder to remove all the mortar around the brick and then it just drops out.
Just don't force it and let the tool do the work, letting it cool down every few minutes, or you'll snap it and it gets expensive to keep replacing it.

ae235

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mortar-rake-8-x-100mm/71778

You smash it to hell with the lump hammer. Drag the crumbs out with your fingers.

That's pretty much what I've done so far. Only half way through though ..

Use an angle grinder with a diamond blade to take out the start of the mortar, and then go in with the rake. If the mortars lime based, then it can often be raked out quickly with an old chisel.

These are handy as well https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p39281- again on lime the mortar breaks and crumbles and there's less tendency for the blunt end to wedge in and stress the rest of the wall. If your mortar is hard as old nails then stitch drill or small angle grinder+ diamond disc to start with

Maybe I need one of those. I am using an SDS drill with a flat chisel, and that is not eating away quick. I tried a pointy chisel .... it's still stuck in the wall.

One I got (came as part of a Helifix crack stitching kit) is offset and cranked so the tool is flat to the wall with the drill at 45 degrees (if that makes sense).

Maybe I just need to attack the rest from outside.

After I've done this, I need to do it again, several times!

. I am using an SDS drill with a flat chisel, and that is not eating away quick. I tried a pointy chisel .... it's still stuck in the wall.
that's cuz the bricks are damp (+ hard) I personally would get a sds drill bit aboyt 15mm. x 15ins long ( enough to go through the wall) and drill multiple holes right through. Then as woody said , a lump hammer *and cold chisel * because, although drill with it's chisel sounds impressive it's not got the power behind it - as you've found out)

Finally got the job done. Bought an SDS masonry drill bit from Toolstation (now my favourite DIY shop!) and then broke through with the chisels after lots of drilling around the edges.

Old and new. Have not mortared it in yet, but done what I need to do inside, so can crack on with putting the floor back now. And yes, need to sort out the path outside, lower it a bit to stop water getting in!

IMG_20180114_105534978.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back