Removing ceiling fan and replacing with spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all...

Im about to get rid of a horriffic ceiling fan with 3 spotlights attatched, and replace it with a normal set of spotlights.

What extra wires will i encounter, (i.e will there be an extra wire to power the motor) and what should i do with it?

Many Thanks

Nicola

Sponsored Links
depends on how its wired.

best thing is to note my signature (the green bit)

yes i know.

I said "NOTE" my signature not "CLICK" my siganture.

in other words take your fan / light down, but note what goes where

Sponsored Links
Cheers gangman, ill give it a go. Whats the worst that could happen????? :eek:

The XPDF allows for that, the only problem is that a person would be required to use 2 of them at the fan/light box in which they would not fit in the box, and still seperate switches would need to be installed at the switch level. If you can fit two of them in your box, then you could leave the main switch to the fan on all the time and install a stick-a-switch next to it.

The difference between what cielling fan manufacturers offer and what is availble with X-10 remote modules, is that the manufacturer remote requires the switch to be constant on, and they usually offer the light at 100% or 0% and 3 speeds for the fan, in an easy to fit module.

X-10 offers 0-100% lighting and 0-100% fan speed, That is why they cannot create an all-in-one module, because it could possibly fry under the heat loads of lower fan speed and dimmed lighting.

If you have access to your attic or basement it is not that hard to upgrade to a 3-wire setup, all you need to do is locate the wire that goes from the switch to cieling box, and replace it with a 3-wire Romex. After that cut a hole for a double gang re-model box, split the black wire coming into the box between each switch by pig-tailing, connect the white wires, and grounds. finally connect a black wire to one switch and the red wire to the other switch.

One switch operates the light, the other operates the fan, they both can be controlled by X-10.

Fanimation
:eek:

Jams, absolutely fascinating post - and thank you for your input - but not much of what you say applies here in the UK.
We do not have Romex or "pig-tailing".
Our wire colours are different to the ones you've quoted also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back