Removing chipboard flooring that runs under stud walls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have browsed a few of the posts on here regarding the above but I have a few more questions please.

The chipboard flooring in my bathroom and separate wc are badly water damaged - currently looks a little like weetabix in places! We obviously need to replace and I was wondering if this can be done without removing the stud wall and the two door frames? The chipboard runs under the stud wall and the door frames. Really want to avoid ripping up the whole of the upstairs if possible but would like a good enough floor to tile on without the dreaded popped tiles!

Any advice would be appreciated for this total novice!! Thank you

Sponsored Links
your stud wall is probably built on a wooden plate thet is nailed to the floor. Make a hole in the floor near the wall and see if there is a joist under the wall. If there is, you may as well leave it. If not, it is possible to take out the old flooring a bit at a time, and slide your new flooring ply under the wall. You might need to lever it up a bit to take the weight off that section when you are sliding. You will have to hack or grind or saw through any nails.

Don't use chipboard again.

Many thanks for your swift reply. I will probably end up having to do that!Would it be feasible to just cut out as near to the wall as possible and then reboard the bathroom and wc without sliding anything under the wall - there is a lot of pipework that I do not want to disturb. Plumbing is definitely not my forte!

Please excuse any ignorance I evidently have in diy matters lol!

If not, it is possible to take out the old flooring a bit at a time, and slide your new flooring ply under the wall. You might need to lever it up a bit to take the weight off that section when you are sliding. You will have to hack or grind or saw through any nails.
Why bother though? Cut the chipboard off at the face of the wall, nail a 50x50 timber batten to the side of the joist if these are parallel with the wall and fix new decking down onto this; if the joists run perpendicularly, cut some 50x50 battens between the joists and fix down in the same manner.

Obviously, if it's mush under the studwork, then it should be taken out in the manner John describes, but that does mean that you will have to go into the adjacent room/s as well, as it's unlikely the boards finish exactly on the line of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all your suggestions and comments. I have removed all the chipboard from the bathroom and it is all just flaking away at the wall. Big breath! I am taking down the wall! I wanted to avoid that really but I think it is my only option. I am going to lay floorboards - chipboard is no friend of mine! No doubt I will be back on here tomorrow with another distaster!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back