Removing concrete around cast iron/clay rain water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have some old rainwater pipes from roof to below ground. I would like to remove the concrete ground around the rainwater pipe so I may lay some paving slabs

Whats the best way to do this without cracking the pipe

I have access to a electric breaker.

Sponsored Links
Whats the best way to do this without cracking the pipe

I have access to a electric breaker.
Start from the greatest distance from the pipe and work you way in. Never allow the tool to pressurise the concrete immediately around the pipe. Work slowly and don't get too greedy. Plastic fares better than clay in this instance.

When you get near to the last bit to take away is when the pipe usually cracks.

Disc cutter and cut the concrete close to the pipe? Then use the breaker. The cuts will mean the vibrations are less likely to damage the pipe and then do as Noseall describes?

Sponsored Links
Start from the greatest distance from the pipe and work you way in. Never allow the tool to pressurise the concrete immediately around the pipe. Work slowly and don't get too greedy. Plastic fares better than clay in this instance.
Thanks, in the instance I do end up cracking the clay pipe, what is there some way I can repair it. I.e cut out where is cracked and have some sort of adapter inbetween the two sections of pipe

Thanks, in the instance I do end up cracking the clay pipe, what is there some way I can repair it. I.e cut out where is cracked and have some sort of adapter inbetween the two sections of pipe
Yes, always. No dramas. If however any foreign objects end up falling in and blocking the pipe much lower down.....woe betide!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back