Waterproofing brick silt trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I have a silt trap in the driveway which takes driveway rainwater run-off and rainwater from the garage roof. It is a brick man hole with red engineering brick and concrete base. However, it seems to lose water quite quickly so instead of flowing out of the outlet pipe it is dissipating into the ground around it. What would be best for waterproofing it. Have tried thompson's damp seal but doesn't appear to be working still.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure i understand what you are saying/asking. :confused:

Is this rainwater collection chamber meant to fill with water and then empty slowly?

How do you know it is not emptying via the outlet?

Ahhh i get it! The outlet pipe is at high level so the chamber is allowed to fill before exiting the chamber, thus trapping the silt. Silly me. :rolleyes:

Dig it out and build a new one. ;)

render it waterproof - with waterproof render :idea: ( I only said that for noseall ;) He`s still laughing @ the wicking)

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure i understand what you are saying/asking. :confused:

Is this rainwater collection chamber meant to fill with water and then empty slowly?

How do you know it is not emptying via the outlet?

Ahhh i get it! The outlet pipe is at high level so the chamber is allowed to fill before exiting the chamber, thus trapping the silt. Silly me. :rolleyes:

Dig it out and build a new one. ;)

Er... what?

What part of "dig it out and build a new one" did you not get?

You could try Niges solution, as in tanking it with waterproof render but this method will only last as long as the brickwork does not move and crack the render.

Just thought it might be a joke... sems a bit drastic to dig up part of driveway. Have since found a £10 EPDM pond liner at local garden centre and lined the man hole so it's fully tanked with no seams. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back