Removing concrete screws securing metal stud frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a project to open up the free space under the stairs. I have taken down the drywall and most of the metal stud frame apart from the base piece which is fastened into the concrete floor with what looks like concrete screws.

These are proving to be very stubborn. I have tried every screwdriver bit I own but cannot move them. I have drilled into one and used a screw removal drillbit counterclockwise in the drill but still nothing. I have also gripped the screw removal drillbit with a wrench but nothing.

I can't move on with the project until this is out and wondered if anyone has come up against this sort of thing before and have any ideas I can try ? Couple of pictures attached to give you an idea.

20190509_100244.jpg

20190507_153958.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

David

Sponsored Links
Maybe a multi tool to take the head off especially if its an anchor bolt.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I'd use a gorilla bar to rip the sole plate off- they're only made of cheese so will come away easily. Then cut the head off with a 4 inch grinder, or maybe just knock it with a lump hammer to push it below floor level.

Thanks guys,

In the absence of a dremel tool, I ended up drilling through the screw heads and got the base of the stud frame up. Admittedly, this did take me about 2 hours and not something I'm keen to do again. Next time I think I'll go down the dremel/grinder route.

Thanks again.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back