Flathead Drillbit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm trying to take off of our external masonry wall a metal box.

The screws are fairly large and have been in the wall for +30 years. They are drilled in without raw plugs.

Using a Bosch hammer drill (rather than electric screwdriver) I have managed to get 2 of the 4 screws out. However, I'm struggling with the other 2 - a couple of the drillbits I have used have broken.

Ideally I need a flathead drillbit - but larger than the set I have given the size of the screw. Any idea where I can buy larger drillbits - or any other thoughts on how I might be able to get the screws out of the wall?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sometimes if the first attempt is a tightening it can break the rust bond. Use an old fashioned hammer impact driver, one that you set the mechanism to tighten or loosen, then belt the end of it with a hammer. The shock usually helps it start.

If that doesnt work, then use a small metal drill bit and drill though the head down to the shaft, so the countersink ring of steel pops off.

Sponsored Links
Impact drivers are pretty good at loosening stubborn screws.

They use a "hammer and anvil" to create rotational "bangs".

As @Mike13 says you can get manual versions that you whack with a hammer. And again, as he says, you can always drill out the screwhead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back