Countersink sets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. i've been looking for countersinks and come across a few sets on ebay. My main use would be hiding the heads of screws, a shallow recess to bring them flush. I see some of these sets have collars on the drillbits and countersink bits.. but visually those dont seem big enough to hide enough of the countersink for my purpose.. they look as thought they wouldnt restrict it to that shallow a depth. e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/22-pc-Drills-...196QQihZ005QQcategoryZ632QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone confirm this.. what are the hand held countersink screwdrivers like?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
They will countersink a screw with a countersunk head. If you actually want to set the screwhead below the surface for example to plug the hole with a pellet then you need a counterbore or better countersink.

I use the trend snappy drill countersinks with TCT cutters as the others soon blunt. They also do matching plug cutters.

Jason

Ok, cheers for that m8. I don't need to go any depper than a screwhead.. will prob get some of those u linked to :)

ive used those and they are terrible,the allen key securing the drill bit comes loose constantly and is awful to tighten because its an oddball size,and the countersink just spins

Sponsored Links
Eww well that doesn't sound good. Are you recommending these Axminster ones?

if you do go for the cheaper single spiral sort

first thing to do is replace the drill bit as they are likely to split the wood
and grind a flat on the shaft to overcome the problem off slipping that ch427 mentions ;)

Hmn.. ch247, is it the ebay ones u were slating? If so might i be better off with the snappy ones as they r tct? Is it the ebay ones u mean by single spiral big-all? I dont mind paying a few quid more for the better tool.. have those axminster ones got the flat side.. have the snappy ones even?

:)

kaseryn said:
Is it the ebay ones u mean by single spiral big-all? I dont mind paying a few quid more for the better tool.. have those axminster ones got the flat side.. have the snappy ones even?

:)

yes with new [i use nomal hss bits]drill bits fitted they work a treat ;)

although you can get them cheaper from a market /carboot or cheap tool store

got mines from east fortune market in the south east of scotland
cost about £7 5 years ago

the ebay ones on the link are dreadfull , if you dont want to spend a lot look for the disston ones> wouldnt say they are wonderful but are only a couple of quid and do the job reasonably well . As for flat sided bits , makita do replacement bits for their quad driver in 3/32 , 1/8 and 7/64" at a couple of quid for a pack of 5

If you don't want to go to the expence of the TCT trend ones then these are not too bad and if you use them with this type of bit and a snappy holder bit changing is very quick.

Jason

Right..think i'll plump for those trend ones then.. worth having decent ones! Thanks for all the input :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back