Removing/converting wasted space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a narrow bedroom in the house, used to be a garage, it's about 3m wide for the most part. A large portion of one of the long walls is taken up by a stud wall that is protruding about 30cm from the rest.

I've attached a (badly drawn) image for reference. There is a cupboard with an electricity meter in on this wall, but instead of it just being the meter cupboard sticking out, they seem to have built a large section of the wall out, which is obviously making the room a bit smaller.

I've seen another house in the street with the same room, but they don't have this protrusion.

It sounds hollow, so I'm assuming it's just wasted space in there. My immediate thought was to get rid of it and just leave the electricity meter cupboard, but there would be a section of missing oak flooring and the coving would need to be redone at the top.

So my second thought would be to turn it into lots of cupboard and shelving space, it's a child's bedroom, so the extra storage space would be really useful. Any thoughts on the best way to go about this and whether 25 - 30cm deep cupboards/shelves will be practical enough to make it worth the effort?

Sponsored Links
actually attaching the image this time!

Attachments

• IMG_20190812_120307.jpg
    IMG_20190812_120307.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 120

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back