Removing Defunct Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live in a condo in a two family house owned by separate parties, but both units used to be owned by one family. They replaced the radiator heating systems with forced hot air, likely to add the A/C. In the upstairs unit they took out all the radiators, but in our unit they did not. The radiators are recessed half way into the wall and covered with six inch thick covers screwed to the wall. We had one removed by a plumber when renovating the kitchen but are now looking to remove the rest of them, as they are taking up space behind couches and headboards and in our small place we need every inch we can get!

We're trying to figure out if we can do this ourselves, but all of the info I can find online is about taking out a radiator from an existing, active heating system. I guess what I'm asking is, what is the difference when you're taking out radiators that aren't active (don't have to drain the system, etc.)? Guessing/hoping it's a lot less involved. The only thing I think we'll have to navigate is if we leave anything above the floor boards or if we cap the pipes off below the floor boards and what that involves...

Any insight would be appreciated! Also, what do you do with old radiators once you take them out?!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, you are in a UK based forum @chekhovgirl.

That being said can you confirm if the radiators are empty and the system is no longer connected to anything? If they are then just undo or cut the pipe fittings at either end and lift the rads off the wall brackets. If they aren't then you need to drain them and the system pipework 1st. Find the lowest point, disconnect or cut through the pipe and drain it from there.

Your local scrap metal dealer will happily take the old ones away I'm sure.

Sponsored Links
@Madrab Thanks! That's pretty much all I was hoping to hear/confirm. I was having a hard time finding an active site to get eyes on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back