Removing Dog/Pet Odour from House Carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have just moved into a house and the people before us had a dog we think. When viewing we did not notice the smell but now we have moved in we have noticed the dog smell and maybe the odd urine smell in places just on our downstairs carpets.

So we had a local carpet cleaning company come in which did not cost much as the carpets looked dirty as well and they said by cleaning them it might not remove the smell completely so we still went ahead with it. The carpets came up very clean but we can still smell the dog or urine odour in places and looks like the other owners kept the dog downstairs only as they had a gate on the stairs.

So my main question is I was going to rip up both carpets including underlay and bin the lot. Once I have got rid then it leaves the concrete hard floor which the carpet and underlay was on.

What should I treat, clean or wash the concrete hard floor with before laying new underlay and carpet.

I have looked on so many sites and there is so many answers from spending loads on expensive paint primers to fancy cleaning products or to the basic cleaning methods but none of them way which is the best way to do this and I don't want to spend much if I can help it.

None of the subfloors in the affected area are wood and the carpet and underlay which is down at the minute are very thick so I hope nothing has every soaked pass these.

Chris

Sponsored Links
The majority of the smell will be coming from the carpet and underlay, so once that is up just use bleach on the concrete and allow to dry.

Use both if you're worried but if it was me I'd just use bleach and not waste my money on the other product.
Like I say, the smell will be mostly, if not all, ingrained in the carpet and underlay which you are removing anyway.

Sponsored Links
I also have some stardrops pine disinfectant. Would this be better and more safe to use than bleach mixed with water

Chris

Well I have ripped the carpet up to find patches of urine stains on the foam underlay. Both now removed from house inc some parts of gripper that also smelt.

Floor has been brushed and I mop using stardrops disinfec product as well as washing down skirting and walls with same product.

Going to let to dry for few a day and see how it smells.

I would like to use the prochem stuff but funds are low at the min so need the best option which is cheapest for me. How well does vinegar or biological stuff work and should it be mixed with water

Not sure if concrete floor is sealed or not but have just drop some water on it as a test.

Going to also use the bleach as well in few days

biological washing powder should work well, as the enzymes will help break down the urine and other smelly things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back