Removing downlighters without destroying ceiling

Rather than pulling directly down, sometimes it's easy to pull on one side, then the other (that saves some of the strain on the plaster board, since the spring presure will be on one side only).

Re fit the fitting ring and that gives you a bit more purchase when pulling, wingle on one side get that down a cm or so and then repeat on the other side. If the thing when in, it will come out!

Sponsored Links
Incidentally, is there any reason that I cannot change the cable from MR16 to GU10 (removing the transformer obviously) or are the light fittings different?

50W MR16s presumably produce a similar heat release to 50W GU10s? (I want to use CFLs anyway)

Yours is a JCC fitting - as I said earlier, one of the worst to have to remove! The rim is so tight there is no coverage should you damage the plaster a tad.

Sponsored Links
You may need to earth the fitting if you want to change it to GU10 (the 12V wouldn't have been earthed)

I had a similar problem this week - couldn't pull down alamp holder to change the lamp - and the fitting neither. Luckily floorboard access not to bad above, so lifted it and lo and behold what was stopping me from getting to the lamp was the fact that whoever installed it had TAPED THE LAMP HOLDER CABLE TO THE CENTRAL HEATING PIPE which was conveniently running next the the fitting....

GRRR

Hmm - good point on the earthing - will have to investigate and see if there are any earthing wires nearby!

Presumably, GU10 halogens don't produce more heat than equivalent wattage 12v bulbs?

Indeed, but it depends on the fitting. if it has an earth terminal it needs to be earthed - best to check or try and find some that don't require an earth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back