Removing Drayton Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'd like to remove an old Drayton thermostat in my lounge and plaster over where it used to be. My combi boiler was replaced 6 years ago with an Ideal combi boiler and a new thermostat installed in the kitchen. The Drayton thermostat no longer works. It looks like this. Any help is appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

Attachments

• 20230626_194325.jpg
    20230626_194325.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230626_191320.jpg
    20230626_191320.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Any tips on how to do that cross thread? It doesn't work and I checked it with an electricians screwdriver and no electricity running through it. It may be connected somewhere. Thanks lots

Any tips on how to do that cross thread? It doesn't work and I checked it with an electricians screwdriver and no electricity running through it. It may be connected somewhere. Thanks lots
An electrician’s screwdriver as you call it isn’t a suitable device for proving dead. Hse GS38 gives guidance on what is required, but a 2 pole voltage indicator is common practice.

Sponsored Links
So, it's not acceptable to turn off the electricity, dead end all wires with insulating tape and pop them behind the wall to plaster over the hole where the thermostat was? Thanks all

So, it's not acceptable to turn off the electricity, dead end all wires with insulating tape and pop them behind the wall to plaster over the hole where the thermostat was? Thanks all
I don't see why not. The wire to it must have been disconnected at the boiler end, and the new stat connected in its place.

So, it's not acceptable to turn off the electricity, dead end all wires with insulating tape and pop them behind the wall to plaster over the hole where the thermostat was?
No, if it is still connected somehow then that is an accident waiting to happen.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I don't see why not. The wire to it must have been disconnected at the boiler end, and the new stat connected in its place.
Not necessarily, I’ve been to plenty where the old thermostat has been left connected at the fcu.

Thanks for your views. How do I check if it's still connected at the FCU? What's an FCU please? I want to stay safe

Thanks for your views. How do I check if it's still connected at the FCU? What's an FCU please? I want to stay safe
I would find the other end of the wire from the old stat and check it's disconnected from the point where the new stat connects.

OK. Will try to do that. I'm assuming that'll be in the cupboard where the combi boiler is? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys

FCU = fused connection unit (people refer to them as a fused spur). If the last boiler was indeed a Combi boiler then the wiring should be there, but should be disconnected, or even cut back.

That seems a bit odd. Might end up with old stat firing the boiler. If that is the case he should disconnect it.
Odd, but it definitely happens. I attended one where someone had wired up the new boiler, existing stat was still connected somehow, and either the temperature dropped or someone turned the hard wired stat down and the boiler went off too.

Odd, but it definitely happens. I attended one where someone had wired up the new boiler, existing stat was still connected somehow, and either the temperature dropped or someone turned the hard wired stat down and the boiler went off too.
Even odder that the boiler went off when the temperature dropped, I'd expect the boiler to go on. In the latter case, maybe the stats were wired in parallel, so boiler on when either or both calling. Perhaps that was the intention (though not an ideal arrangement).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back