Removing dried emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm redecorationg my bathroom at the moment - trying to put right the previous owners' DIY disasters. The ceiling is varnished tongue and groove, which looks OK - but sadly, the walls were painted very carelessly - brush marks spreading over a inch or so onto the ceiling. Is there any way of removing the splashes of emulsion that have gone onto the ceiling? - I really don't want to have to repaint it. Would soaking it with soap and water loosen it - or would sugar soap do the trick??

Sponsored Links
methylated sprit will soften it, mixed with enough washing up liquid to stop it dripping off. cover with cling film to stop it evaporating.

on some surfaces you can scrub it with a nylon brush and more meths mixture once it is softened, this will be difficult on a ceiling

Cheers John. Will the meths affect the varnish on the ceiling do you think?

Sponsored Links
Rico, I and other decs come across paint splashes all the time, whether its on the UPVC frames, or light switches, rads etc, and the best way I find is to soak the paint with ordinary fairy soapy water, wet it a couple of times, then wash off.

If you have an old scourer type pad, one thats quite worn, the type that has the rough side, and the other side is smooth.

Or if your very careful, once you have soaked the paint, then you can scrape it off, but go very carefully as you dont want to mark anything.

Another product I find works great on stubborn paint marks, is to buy some 'brush cleaner', pick up from any DIY sheds, its on the same shelves as the white spirit, and usually blue in colour.

Its originally used to clean brushes,but I have found that it has removed old stubborn paint, (emulsion and even oil) from carpets and even clothes, that has dried in over the years.
You just dab it on a couple of times, leave for a couple of mins, then wash off.

I dont know if it will affect the varnish, but you could try a bit in the corner, and you could always re varnish anyway. :D

Cheers Spice - lots to be going on with there. Much appreciated m8.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back