Removing drivers door (micra)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To sort rust on the door edge i need the door off. Can i do this alone? Not sure how heavy the door is. Also, is kurust any good to stop rust returning? Many thanks for advice

Sponsored Links
Even on a small car as the Micra the door is surprisingly heavy, and a third hand doesn't half come in useful.......however, I use a well padded trolley jack just to take the weight as the door is unbolted - it helps to a large degree so long as the door doesn't overbalance :eek:
As for the rust treatments, prepare for disappointment, but you can help to a certain extent by grinding as much of the rust away as possible, and then applying Kurust Rust Converter.
This is a pink liquid that turns blue / black in contact with rust, and when that is done apply the rust preventing primer by aerosol (not brushing - the xylene tends to peel off if you overdo it.) Use a few coats of primer and then its on with the top coat. Rest assured, the rust will return :(
One other option, there are loads of Micra's around in nationwide breakers yards - there's a good chance you could find one in the same colour. Depends if your luck is in - but slight panel damage during transit seems almost obligatory.
John :)

Thanks John. Very much appreciated. Haven't the money for another car at the mo. Will need this one another year.. Rust looked crap and was doing my head in. Got a door the same colour.. Very very slight rust on edge but can easy sort it and will last another year. Second hand cars aint cheap. Stoneacre any good?

The window glass on the donor door is scratched with vertical lines. Is that just crap getting into the rubber seal? Willswop the glass over

Sponsored Links
Stoneacre Suzuki, do you mean? Sorry, I've never had anything to do with them - everything my way seems to be Arnold Clark!
Yep, the scratched glass is due to grit or whatever getting between the glass and the rubber seal......not too bad to swap the glass over.
John :)

Cheers mate, i'd stand you a pint if i knew who you were.. Stoneacre website for second hand cars.. Seen odd car to suit me .. About 200 miles away lol. Will save tbe dosh up. Thanks again mate , much appreciated.

Back