Removing emulsion and vinyl paint from plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve started stripping problem areas of paint off the wall - when we moved in a year ago we had a moisture problem due to external wall issue. External wall has been re rendered and insulated and is fine now. Problem I have is I’ve found under some of the emulsion there’s vinyl paint and some of it just doesn’t want to budge. Not sure how else to get it off and really want to get it off to get as even a finish as possible as it’s in the hall/stairs. I’ve used a scraper so far but there’s some stubborn spots. Just wondered if there’s anything else to try :)

Sponsored Links
I have just done a wall exactly the same problem, I found soaking with a sponge marginally helpfull, at least it loosens the edges of the patch but still unfortunately quite a few gouges in the plaster. On other walls having suffered that I just removed the peeling paint then sanded down the edges, then a smear of caulk along the edge before repainting, not perfect but better than the gouges and length of time it takes otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back