Removing factory fitted glass on interior door????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a neat way to remove factory fitted glass panels from an interior door? (Four panel door, top two glazed with fussy patterned stuff - need to replace with solid frosted). The beadings are integral to the side panels.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you may find that the beading on 1 side can be removed?
if not then it looks like you will have to gently pare off the beading on 1 side with a chisel,and buy some new and refit.

Thank you. It certainly can't be prised off as the beading edge is routed out of the side rails so it's all one piece - I assume that the glass is installed as the doors are made, before the top rail goes on?

I'm wondering if it may be better to stick this door on ebay and start again.

Has anyone successfully removed glass fitted in this way without butchering the door?

yes,just take your time,make sure your chisels are sharp.

but if you take time into the equation then your probably right about ebaying it. ;)

Sponsored Links
ignore my advice iff you have never used a router ;)

i would find a moulding that would fit visually and physically
i would the set the plunge depth a good 1mm shallow off the glass
i would clamp a baton across the length off the rails for the rail cuts
and screw/nail between the rails to router the styles /sides as they are thinner than the router base plate and baton put together and when routered the last 1mm will easily break off to release the glass and when cleaned up will allow the moulding to fit
if the replacement is thinner you will off course have chosen a thicker molding profile that will require a second deeper pass with the router around all edges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back