Removing fireplace - where is lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4CEDE021-9084-48BE-9667-D9CC7036E33B.jpeg
Hi All. I’m currently in the process of removing the fireplace in my 1900s mid-terrace. I’ve got the old gas fire out & the cast concrete surround but now I’m unsure where to go. The fireback & surrounding brings stick out proud from the wall so need to be removed before I can block it up. I’m not too sure how the lintel is supported though as it seems to be resting on the bricks up the side of the fireplace.
I’ve attached a photo below - it may be hard to see though - but if anyone can suggest my next course of action it would be appreciated? I was thinking I need to hack off more plaster above first so I can get a proper idea of what’s what? There’s a thin strip of metal spanning the gap at the top (not visible in the photo) but it doesn’t seem to be doing much as it’s flimsy so surely can’t be a proper support?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
And to add - you can just about see a lintel about 6” above the top of the fireback but it’s not resting in the bricks either side. My worry is that by removing the fireback I’ll disturb everything around it & there won’t be anything holding it up. It doesn’t seem wide enough to me

There's normally two lintels, a small one above the opening and a bigger one higher up.

there wont be a lintel.
the bricks should be soldiered in an arch above. chop more plaster off to find it.
you’ll have to put your own lintel in just below that. or if you intend blocking it up a 4x2 frame will do the same job and give you something to board to.

Sponsored Links
5B5C54CE-CD59-4B3F-9AEC-D8A3A56BDCEB.jpeg

Hopefully this is a bit better?

Attachments

• E26E5093-B427-4379-B6C6-EC6454F38824.jpeg
    E26E5093-B427-4379-B6C6-EC6454F38824.jpeg
    440.6 KB · Views: 270
You can safely remove the fireback and the infill brickwork to open up the original fireplace opening.
If the cracked lintel below the arch drops or the arch bricks move, no worries - the face of the chimney breast will not collapse.
Before blocking off the opening have the flue swept and later insert an air vent in your blocking off material.
If possible, have the chimney stack and flue terminal examined.

You might have to deal with removing a hearth - do it now if needed?

Thanks. Is the soldier course support enough on its own or is the lintel underneath it needed (assuming i wanted to leave it open)? I guess it must be if that’s the original opening but it’s always hard to trust that bricks placed that way up unsupported aren’t going to fall!
I’ll put an air brick or vent in depending if I brick it up or board it & I’ll knock the hearth out too.

Its an arch & arches are self supporting.

If you intend to leave it open then clear all plaster away from the arch and remove all below it including the cracked lintel - fill & support the springing points as you remove the lintel - then check how steady the arch is?
Worst case is the arch needs to be re-built.
Come back here if you need to.

it needs a lintel. or a timber frame if youre blocking it up to support the soldiers that arent an arch.
or you could remove the unarched soldiers and set a lintel higher if you intend leaving it open as a feature.

You may find a steel bar under that shallow arch soldier course.

The steel bar is under the lintel & is just about visible from the photo. Both that and the lintel aren’t sitting on much if I remove the fireback & the angled brickwork so it does seem that some kind of support is necessary. I’m going to block it up so will prop some wood under there while the blocks are going in. Thanks All.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back