Removing firplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I want to remove my fireplace chimney do I have to install same kind of support joist to support the wall?

1) first floor bedroom i want to remove it but the ground floor fireplace will stay.

2) 2nd bedroom fireplace I want to remove from ground floor and first floor.

Please advise.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not really a job for a DIY'er unless you are very experienced. You would be best getting a few quotes from suitable builders in your area. It will involve taking the chimney down through the house roof, slating/tiling over the hole, installing new joists and patching the ceiling and one hell of a lot of mess and dust. You may also need to inform your local building inspector because the work you want to do may be structural and if your chimney is twinned with your neighbours you may need consent to alter things.

Agreed with Dazb 100%.

I have kept quite on this one as it's very dangerous if it goes wrong.In some cases you might have to have a calulation structure report first.I noticed you have a minimum three storey building,possibly you live in a conservation or listed area ??? which wouldn't allow you to altered the chimney depending on your area.Before getting any builder quotes I would pop down to your local planning for their advice as there're too many cowboy builders who will knock down your chimney regardless of the rules & regulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back