Removing floor tiles, possibly asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lifted off the lino and found not one but two layers of tiles under it - urgh.

The first tiles (mock red brick effect) seem to break off no bother. But the grey ones underneath are stuck down with some black gunk that sometimes lifts off with the tile but mostly requires scraping. I had soaked the tiles with water and floor cleaner prior to hacking them off but they still broke into a million bits. Now I find out it's common for these tiles to contain asbestos - great!

I'm hearing a heat gun may be the way to go. But what precautions should I take PPE wise?

Cheers

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Certain types of older vinyl tiles did contain asbestos, and the adhesive used. if your dead set on removing them, check out the HSE website, useful references to PPE. it sounds like they are well stuck though? could you not just leave them in place and latex over them??

The floor is pretty uneven, was going to screed then install underfloor heating and laminate. Got heat gun, its going to be a C*#T but I think about a day to remove the lot. Got a p3 face mask but they are not breaking up much now that I'm using the gun.

However, should I be continuing to soak the floor? Am I being a bit under various, should I have a paper suit and all that? There seems to be mixed opinion about floor tiles and the requires precautions in particular...

Sponsored Links
How much cost/aggro is it to get fully PPE'd?

I can't tell if they're asbestos from the photos but don't risk it for saving a tenner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back