Removing flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lift the current floor in a couple of rooms but have no idea how to do it. Could anyone tell me the best way to remove wooden flooring?

Sponsored Links
Could you give some more info, please? Like what kind of flooring: boards, click-system, nailed, glued etc etc etc.

I would if I could but it's what was there when I moved in and I'm not sure how to tell.

It looks like boards but I can't really tell how they're joined. They go right under the bath.

Do they look like wooden planks about 4 inches wide? Or like smooth chipboard about 4 feet wide? Is there a gap between them you could poke the blade of a (blunt, table) knife down?

Can you see screw-heads or nail heads in them and how far apart are they?

Does it have a glossy surface or is it old, dry and faded?

Sponsored Links
They are 7.5" by 46". There is a join but i couldn't fit anything between it, I don't think. They are shiny, not old and faded.

Maybe I should just employ someone to do it?!

Sammz said:
They are 7.5" by 46". There is a join but i couldn't fit anything between it, I don't think. They are shiny, not old and faded.

They sound to me like flooring laminate, either glued down or clipped together. There is probably a chipboard floor beneath them. Why do you want to take them up?

I want to lay vinyl tiles instead as the water is wrecking the current floor.

Sammz
in the corner of the room , use a stanley knife an score a peice out an pull it up, underneath should be a cushion mating if , not rip it up in chunks

if the underneath substrate is chipboard , I would lay sections of 4mm wbp ply ,screwing down then put down vinyl tiles , the substrate base will be very secure an no further worries with damp then.....
hope this helps :)

sorry meant to say

lay the 4mm wpb ply on top of the chipboard if the chipboard is nice an dry ..lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back