Cleaning and lifting parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How to lift a parquet floor, clean the blocks of the glue, or bitumen, and clean the floor of glue in order to relay?. I have to remove a considerable amount of flooring as I am fitting a new kitchen but have no idea how to lift and clean the glue etc.

Sponsored Links
You're in for a hard job if it was installed with bitumen: all have to be removed from blocks and floor. New modern adhesive will take longer to bond when residue of bitumen is left.

Another idea perhaps: if the floor is in a good state, do you need to remove it when installing a new kitchen? Or is the new kitchen 'smaller' than the existing one and are you left with 'empty' underfloor?
You must also be aware that you have to add the thickness of the floor (when installing after the new kitchen is in) to the height of the cupbaords otherwise you end felling your back when doing the dishes :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I am assuming it is bitumen as it is black and looks like tar. Are their any chemicals to freeze or soften the bitumen for easy removal, or will it be several weeks of torture.
My floor at the moment goes around the current kitchen and as the new kitchen is larger with more units etc I want to edge the floor off nicely.

Kwackboy said:
Thanks for the info. I am assuming it is bitumen as it is black and looks like tar. Are their any chemicals to freeze or soften the bitumen for easy removal, or will it be several weeks of torture.

The most people we speak who had to remove the bitumen (sawing, freezing, chemicals) told us it was weeks of torture.
Als remember you have to remove as much of the bitumen as possible from the underfloor.
You might want to rethink this project and see if you work the existing floor of nicely when the new kitchen is placed? Do you mean a specific 'border' pattern or strip in front of the units?
It might be possible to remove just those block who are (after the next kitchen is placed) in 'the wrong place or pattern'?

Sponsored Links
Kwack - I had the same job to do, not so long ago. I tried a range of chemicals on the bitumen, with very limitied success I'm afraid. Nitromors softened it a bit; but be careful with fumes. I also tried cellulose thinners without much luck.

An electric pain stripper also softens it enough to scrape, but it's a foul job because of the fumes, and you need to be *very* careful not to overheat it, as obviously bitumen is an oil derivitive and can catch fire.

I had to endure weeks of hard graft, i'm afraid... :(

Thanks for your help. I am looking forward to many weekends spent lying on my kitchen floor. Maybe I am lucky the kitchen manufacturer told me 12 weeks before they can install it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back