Removing flow restriction valve on Worcester Bosch Greenstar 29CDi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 4 bed semi, 2 bathrooms and soon to be a 5 bed with an additional bathroom and a small W/C on the ground floor. It currently has 9 radiators and we will add another 2 radiators.

We have have no room for a megaflow system and to be honest my elderly parents are not in a position to spend another £3k+ on changing the setup. Instead we have asked for the current combi to be relocated into the extension. One saving grace is that we dont all shower at the same time and we are prepared to run the risk of someone opening the kitchen tap if someone is having a shower.

My question is whether this boiler (which I am told delivers 40 or 50 degree water at 7 litres per min or slightly less at 12 litres a min) has a flow restriction valve on it which we can ask our plumber to remove (even if it means the water might not reach the hottest temperature possible). The boiler is nearly 7 years old so is out of warranty anyway. The boiler I was told by WB is capable of handling upto 30kw on the heating side so even with 11 radiators it will be within capacity.

On a separate note, we temporarily have to extend the current flue out and up through a partially completed extension and I understand there are three parts I need 7716191083 flue extension, 7719002430 for vertical flue and then 7716191074 for the 90 degree bend. This is going to set me back £250-£300 plus labour cost. Can I buy used one from somewhere as we will be moving the boiler in a few months which we cannot do now as its pumping exhaust gases into a partially completed extension (the doors and windows and roof light have not been fitted for this reason). Now that we have to fit it all we cant just move the boiler yet as it will disrupt the existing kitchen and ground etc. Looking for a cheapest solution flue pipe extension and up and out.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I hear you. Just trying to explore all my options. It'll cost me about £300-400 for a temp solution.

Sponsored Links
Apart from the flue issues,which you have had a rethink about and come to a different solution.

By removing a flow regulator what are you expecting ?

A higher output of water albeit at a reduced temperature. Just want to make sure it doesnt do any damage etc to the boiler.

A higher output of water albeit at a reduced temperature.
The flow regulator governs the water flow to the heat requirements of the boiler,so when turning on a hot water outlet a constant temperature is achieved.
Removing it will increase the hot water flow through the boiler but the end user will have to reduce the water flow on individual taps to achieve a decent temperature,any showers already fitted will also be affected.

Removal of the flow regulator will not damage the boiler :idea:

To the extent that a single tap opened at 60% before the restriction valve was removed, was also opened at 60% after the valave was removed, there should not be a drop in perceived temperature. It's only if more taps are opened that the volume might satisfy demand at a lower temperature.........I would have thought.

Is it a tricky part to remove for the plumber ie inaccessible from the front?

All front access,Your plumber will have no problem but have the boiler installation & servicing instruction ready for him/her :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back