Removing Foil Damp Paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've started stripping our master bedroom only to discover what I believe is "foil damp" paper on the chimney. Presumably put there many years ago to hide damp/soot staining as the fireplace was blocked up. There's now a vent where the fireplace once was which I am guessing was installed around the same time. My original plan was to block up the vent as it's a right eyesore however, based on this discovery I'm thinking I'd be wiser finding a more attractive vent cover and just living with it.

My problem now is that I'm having the room skimmed on Monday so I need to remove this Foil Damp ASAFP. Can anyone offer any advice? I have a stanley knife, a wallpaper steamer and a scraper.....am I fully tooled up or is there some other implement/technique that's going to save me going mad over the next few evenings?!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
After spending ages getting precisely nowhere with removing the black backing of this foil damp, I spoke with my plasterer. He says as long as the bitumin adhesive is well and truly stuck - which, by Jeezus it is - they will PVA it and skim as normal.

Sponsored Links
Be warned that it is likely to bleed through the plaster leaving brown stains, so it would be wise to use a stain blocking primer on the areas when it comes to painting.
You could use it before skimming but check with your plasterer first.

Really? Given that water, wallpaper remover and everything else have thrown at it has bounced straight back, I'd be amazed to see any bleeding from it with PVA and a skim of plaster between it :confused:

Absolutely! There is a big difference between it being unremovable and bleeding through. Could take a year or more but believe me, it will.
Leave it and see as you can always use a stain block when it does. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back