Removing gloss paint off the return pipe from boiler

I guess I could cut the pipe first then just remove the paint around the compression ends (with whatever technique), saves me having to remove paint off a section thats beng cut off :)

Sponsored Links
Paint stripper and brake fluid?? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Pair of pump pliers set to just nip the paint but not crush the pipe twist back n forth half a dozen times then when the gloss has cracked off clean up with emery tape. 3 mins max!

'Kin ell some of you make hard work of things :mrgreen:

I’d use the Stanley blade mate... works all the time and no dulling of the sharp edge... but advice for diyers is diffrent- don’t wanna give away all our tricks eh :p

I’d recommend a adey professional 2 or fernox omega filter, not had any issues with my installations using them, very easy to service and clean out, remove paint with a Stanley blade and emery cloth, however everybody has there own ways ! Might be worth checking that it is 22mm pipework and not old imperial 3/4 pipework, easy way to check once you have cleaned up your pipework, try your olive and take note of how much slack there is around the olive ,if it feels like a hot dog up a corridor then either use 3/4 inch olives or wrap 4 wraps of ptfe around the pipework after fitting the unions over the pipework. Then a wrap of two around the olive and jet blue paste. Tighten it up tight May be also worth teeing in a drain off underneath if there is not one already. Good luck

Cheers

Sponsored Links
10mins or not, gonna have to do the job next weekend now as family stuff's come up... but thanks for all the great suggestions guys!(y)

10mins or not, gonna have to do the job next weekend now as family stuff's come up... but thanks for all the great suggestions guys!(y)

Keep us posted if you get stuck just ask cheers

light warm up with gas burner ,grips with ragged teeth 1/2 round wiggly waggle ,then more heat ,back of stanley knife ,then rothenburg mesh cleanes ,guanteed will work

Yeah. Cut your section out first and just clean the ends of the cut pipe as you say. A strip of emery cloth worked back and forth just like you’d do when drying your arse and knackers with a towel and finish off with some steel wool. Oh, and I’d vote for the TF1 Omega too. Neat, compact, well built and easy to fit as it has a slip socket fitting. Fitted one myself two days ago to my system. I paid £70 for mine from my local plumbers merchants. Really is a 5 minute job (excluding the drain down and refill). So easy, a small child could do it. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Yeah. Cut your section out first and just clean the ends of the cut pipe as you say. A strip of emery cloth worked back and forth just like you’d do when drying your arse and knackers with a towel and finish off with some steel wool. Oh, and I’d vote for the TF1 Omega too. Neat, compact, well built and easy to fit as it has a slip socket fitting. Fitted one myself two days ago to my system. I paid £70 for mine from my local plumbers merchants. Really is a 5 minute job (excluding the drain down and refill). So easy, a small child could do it. :mrgreen:

Yes quality component the omega however the adey filter also has a slip socket to. Good price was that with vat ?

Yep. £70 inc vat but I paid another £14 for a 22mm pipe slice rather than sod about with a hacksaw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back