Removing huge concreted posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like many our fence succumbed to the storms recently. We took it down and now need to remove the concrete from the ground, so I started digging around one of the snapped posts. Unfortunately it appears the previous owner, who installed the fence 15 yrs ago, concreted the posts alongside the original older posts, presumably 30yrs ago. Consequently the concrete lump is massive. It also runs alongside a public path which actually has foundations that slope onto my property.

So I'm wondering, as we're in need of a new fence, how do I get this slab out of the ground first? I could leave it, but if I put the new posts in new locations I'll have to remove the path foundations that taper onto my side where I'll want to dig.

Tools I own, which I'm happy to try, include an SDS drill with pointed bit, however I think I've tried using it concrete before with no luck, it's just not powerful enough. I'm wondering if I'm kidding myself to think I can manage this by DIY methods and have no choice but to hire a pneumatic drill to smash this up?

Sponsored Links
Do your back a favour and hire a proper breaker. Not too expensive and will do the job in a fraction of the time you'd be doing it DIY.

Thanks. I've ordered the Toolstation Bauker breaker, figured that'll be a better cost investment given I might need to use a breaker several times over the coming weeks (I have 50m of fence to replace).

Sponsored Links
looks like a good buy.

I hope you will have the foresight to use concrete posts, or at least concrete spurs, when you rebuild.

looks like a good buy.

I hope you will have the foresight to use concrete posts, or at least concrete spurs, when you rebuild.
Concrete posts I don't like the aesthetic, but those concrete spurs are something new to me. They look really useful and allow repairs in the future without having to dig out the wooden posts because they're above ground, only the concrete spur is concreted into the hole. The ones I've found online are listed as repair use only, but I don't see why you can't use them as primary.

An alternative method, which might be worth a try...

Drill a hole in the concrete, to match a large expanding hook bolt (Rawlbolt), using a length of solid timber or bit of RSJ balanced on a suitable height of support at one end and a jack at the other, lash hook to beam and try jacking it up to get it out.

Concrete posts I don't like the aesthetic, but those concrete spurs are something new to me. They look really useful and allow repairs in the future without having to dig out the wooden posts because they're above ground, only the concrete spur is concreted into the hole. The ones I've found online are listed as repair use only, but I don't see why you can't use them as primary.
I always use Concrete Spurs nowadays when erecting new or replacing fences. Normally put them in line with the fence. Cost iOS about the same from new but is much cheaper to maintain or replace.

An alternative method, which might be worth a try...

Drill a hole in the concrete, to match a large expanding hook bolt (Rawlbolt), using a length of solid timber or bit of RSJ balanced on a suitable height of support at one end and a jack at the other, lash hook to beam and try jacking it up to get it out.

I actually prepared a chain with hook earlier to try something similar, but I don't have a way to anchor or lever this. No RSJ, no ground anchor.

I had to replace the old fence post, which came down by the storm last year.

The base of the old snapped off fence post was concreted to about 2ft below the ground.
I used my Titan SDS Drill, which I had bought about 10 year ago. At the time I bought it to drill through the kitchen wall making the outside tap.
After that the Titan SDS drill has been forgotten totally, and sitting in the shed for all that years.

I forgot even how to use it, but managed to put the long SDS drill bit in the drill, and started drilling and breaking the concrete out. It took 2 - 3 days about 2 hours of drilling a day in the afternoon, and at last it all came out.
It was not Sunday afternoon sleepy painting DIY for sure.

I managed to put up a new fence post using the postcrete from B&Q, and new fence panels replacing the old. It has been standing solid so far. Glad that I had the Titan SDS Drill. It still works like NEW.

Last edited:
I forgot even how to use it, but managed to put the long SDS drill bit in the drill, and started drilling and breaking the concrete out. It took 2 - 3 days about 2 hours of drilling a day in the afternoon

Was it a drill bit, or a chisel tool?

I managed some by breaking them into pieces I could lift out of the hole. Easier to work on when accessible.

I actually prepared a chain with hook earlier to try something similar, but I don't have a way to anchor or lever this. No RSJ, no ground anchor.

You don't need a ground anchor, just a suitable height of stand for one end, jack for the other, then the beam.

We had that issue, there were some gaps in the planting and every time we went to plant something new we hit a massive lump with two fence posts embedded in, one rotten away and one concrete that has been cut at ground level.
In the end we found digging round and levering it out with a long pointed Spade, then shoving bricks under until it was possible to roll out of the hole. Steel toe caps are essential.
Then when we had a skip we just rolled them up the ramp into the skip.
This is the spade, I've not managed to break it yet
https://www.diy.com/departments/fiskars-ergonomic-pointed-edging-spade/6411501310088_BQ.prd

Was it a drill bit, or a chisel tool?

I managed some by breaking them into pieces I could lift out of the hole. Easier to work on when accessible.

Used both the large drill bit and also the chisel tool as needed. Was quite tiring job.
Kept scooping the broken concretes out with a small trowel from the hole, and kept on breaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back