removing internal wall

rt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you help with some advice?

I’m looking to remove a 3m long solid wall that divides the kitchen and dining room and would like some advice and questions I should be asking when getting quotes. Will the electrics to the hob & oven cause a problem as these are hidden in the wall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't have thought the existing electrics will cause a decent sparky too mutch hassle.

obviously, if it is a load bearing wall, then an adequate steel rsj will be required plus padstones. this will need to be specified by a qualified engineer complete with calculations. both the calc's and the steel beam & padstones will need to be inspected by building control.

one thing to consider though, is the floor level differential, now this can be troublesome. ;)

Thanks Noseall,

Is there a way that I could tell if the wall is supporting or not?
There is no wall above it upstairs and it runs in line with the joists.

The floor height should not be a problem as I want to put back in a 900mm high wall in its place so that worktop can go over the top forming a breakfast bar in the dinning room area.

Sponsored Links
if the wall runs in-line with the first floor joists and there is no brickwork above, then it is sensible to assume the wall only carries its own load.

however, some internal walls do offer some lateral restraint to an adjacent wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back