Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
F2A6145C-315A-4D1C-85FE-6FC3BACC1EBF.jpeg
5A18CC6A-7132-4383-A97D-848126EC1F69.jpeg
BC619444-C8E2-4B49-8BD7-765C86919A4C.jpeg
EBCA7188-92C2-4269-90B4-ECF95E604A7E.jpeg
EBCA7188-92C2-4269-90B4-ECF95E604A7E.jpeg
Looking for advice please. I have recently moved into a bungalow which the previous owner completed a loft conversion. The stairs is in the kitchen and there is a very unsightly joist against the stairwell wall. My question is, can this joist be removed safely without compromising the integrity of the structure? I’m thinking that removing the plasterboard at both ends I could then secure the joists to the wall allowing me to cut the joist out and make good to the walls. Is this possible?

Sponsored Links
May well be structural, you would need to get it surveyed or look at conversion details to check .

Which way do the floor boards or joists in the loft run? I was just wondering if it was a trim to cover the ends of joists

Sponsored Links
if you remove it you will be removing the perfect level platform for decorating the stair well

Don’t think you could remove it safely , option 2 is to batten out or dot & dab above it then install Plasterboard above it / over its edge & skim .

Same direction as the one I want to remove.
If you mean the joists then no you will not be able to remove it as I would say the wall has been constructed on top of it & it may be part of the roof support. As was originally said by foxhole you need an expert onsite to advise you.

If you can't remove it, or board over it without affecting the width of the stairwell (although that plaster looks very bumpy and needs a skim at least), you could improve the appearance of the joist, which is just a rough piece of carcassing. Maybe ask on the decorating area to see if there's something like a very thin veneer that could be glued on it to provide a surface for decoration.

Maybe ask on the decorating area to see if there's something like a very thin veneer that could be glued on it to provide a surface for decoration.
Never come across a decorator who knew what veneer was, or how to apply it - not really a decos job, surely? In timber terms, though, either hardboard or thin MDF (2.4 to 3mm) could be applied (glued and pinned) to the face with 12 to 18mm thick MDF to cover the edges. Personally I wouldnt bother, though. Probably far easier to just sand back, fill and sand again to get a smooth surface. Start with 40 to 60 grit on a power sander to do the heavy work then switch to a higher grit

After a while you'll probably forget it's there!
If it was me I'd paint it a different colour, make a feature out of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back