1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing kitchen floor tiles

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by Roger465, 19 Dec 2017.

1. Roger465

Roger465

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    These are really grotty - badly scratched, scuffed, stained etc.

If I wanted to fit all new ones, how the @!*!!?? do I remove the old ones?

Or is there any wonderful treatment that will make the old ones look better?

They feel very rough to the touch - but it just occurred to me that this might be to stop people slipping on them... doubt that though, reckon they're just in bad nick.

Cheers :D

IMAG1400.jpg

2. Whack one with a club hammer, then you can use a bolster to get the others up. Alternatively, if you have an SDS drill with a spade attachment, that will do it quite easily. Depending on what's underneath, it may require a thin layer of self levelling compound afterwards, but we can discuss that after you've got the times up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Roger465

Roger465

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Gotcha. I guess what I was worried about was how well they'd be stuck down... like with No More Nails or something.

The only thing I know is that it's a concrete floor underneath, about 1994 - with warm areas where heating pipes go, that my cat likes ot sit on :eek:

Now that I know what's involved, I'll add it to me list and be in touch again when the time comes - thanks :mrgreen:

4. If you're feeling brave, I'd be inclined to go for broke, and see if you can get at the pipes, and insulate them whilst the tiles are up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Roger465

Roger465

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes good point. But my cat won't like it, and he's VERY big...

Lucifer.jpg