Removing laminate glued to ply glued to floorboards - nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to get the floor up on the ground floor of a 1930s semi-detached in order to provide access for the electrician and plumber.

Unfortunately one of the previous owners has glued what looks like 9mm ply (and stapled it!) and then glued laminate on top.

Proving an absolute nightmare to get off - electrician due on Tuesday.

View media item 106970View media item 106969
Any tips on getting off to provide access to the floorboards?

I was thinking I may have to set my circular saw to 10mm depth (to avoid cutting the floorboards) and cut the ply into strips before prying it up.

Anybody with experience of such a task?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
curium, good evening.

i take it that floor did not creak???

Suggest a "Bolster" and an old broad chisel use both [+ hammer] you could also try a sharp wrecking bar, make sure the "cutting ends" of the bar are indeed sharp.

Remove a large area of Laminate, enough to let you see the [general] layout of the ply then go at the ply, if you are lucky, attacking the ply will combine the two layers as they are lifted together.

What sort of area are you lifting? is it to provide a hatch for access?? If so what about the cupboards? not generally laminated?? just a consideration??

Ken.

The gas pipe in the void is in steel and needs to be replaced in copper plus it's slightly undersized for the boiler so access from the meter under the stairs and into the kitchen is required. I also need some additional sockets installed so the electrician will need access at sever points.

Basically I need to try and get the flooring back to the floorboards so that the trades can then remove and replace as they require.

Sponsored Links
It’s not laminate it’s LVT
Use a plunge saw set to 11mm and cut out sections

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back