Tiling substrate for my kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing the floor in my kitchen in order to provide access to tradesmen for electrical, gas and water mains work.

It's a bit of drama due to the presence of glued vinyl and ply as detailed in Removing laminate glued to ply glued to floorboards - nightmare.

Due to the destructive method of removing the flooring I will be selecting new sheet material. The joists are quite small but are spaced fairly closely with dwarf walls. More details in Joist sizes in a 1930s build.

I may choose to tile the kitchen floor in future so thought that would guide my choice of sheet material.

The obvious choice would be 22mm ply but there's a timber shortage and 18mm hardwood ply is nearly £80 for a 1.22m x 2.44m sheet.

Is it possible to tile on to 22mm Caberfloor P5 chipboard?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
My en-suite is tile on 22mm chipboard and has been fine, but requires a good quality tile .

My en-suite is tile on 22mm chipboard and has been fine, but requires a good quality tile .
I had heard similar stories. As long as a flexible adhesive and grout are used.

I was hoping to hear from tillers stating they’ve done this in domestic properties and never had an issue.

Would also be good to hear of any limitations.

17m² of ply is going to cost around £500 so it would really be a last resort.

22mm chip board will be fine. You can help by adding additional battens across the joists to reduce the flex in the chip board.

Sponsored Links
You could used something like Bal Rapid Mat between the chipboard and the tiles.
It is very thin (<1mm) and decouples the tiles from the chipboard, so if the boards move a little it is unlikely to crack the tiles.
You stick it to the chipboard with tile adhesive and then tile on top. You can let this adhesive set before tiling or just crack on when it is wet.
Even with the extra adhesive it only adds a couple of mm to the floor level, unlike overboarding...
I used this in my hallway and dining room, 3 years on there are no cracked tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back