Removing loft beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not looking to do this myself but don't know what kind of trades-person I need to talk to.
I have a relatively new build with beams going cross cross where I want to free up for storage space.

I'm not looking to do a loft conversion, just remove the central lower beams to make space for storage.
I'm guessing they build some steal box work or something to take the strain at floor and ceiling level leaving an open space.
I'm also assuming it doesn't need a structural engineer because this roof is a common place prefab and people will have done this many times before.

Do I get to a loft conversion company , or are there trades people who can do this, or Colin furze ... bit of box section bish bash bosh ?

Sponsored Links
I'm not looking to do this myself but don't know what kind of trades-person I need to talk to.
I have a relatively new build with beams going cross cross where I want to free up for storage space.

I'm not looking to do a loft conversion, just remove the central lower beams to make space for storage.
I'm guessing they build some steal box work or something to take the strain at floor and ceiling level leaving an open space.
I'm also assuming it doesn't need a structural engineer because this roof is a common place prefab and people will have done this many times before.

Do I get to a loft conversion company , or are there trades people who can do this, or Colin furze ... bit of box section bish bash bosh ?
Can you post a piccie of the roof (inside) please?

or Colin furze ... bit of box section bish bash bosh ?
You don't mess with a trussed roof! :eek:

If you want to have an idea of the effort involved, even for a 'storage room', have a look at a few of this guys vids (...although I don't always agree with his methods! ;) ):

My favourite "self build" loft conversion:

Please post pics of the inside of your loft.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I went up in the loft and took this pic. hope its okay ....
I saw one video using a modular metal system. In one case it was basically a metal square / cube that went around the area to be removed to brace it.

Another Q, those support bars going from left to right, how important are they? I noticed one is split. Looks like it was poorly installed, rather than moving.

1671396244892.png

You don't mess with a trussed roof! :eek:

If you want to have an idea of the effort involved, even for a 'storage room', have a look at a few of this guys vids (...although I don't always agree with his methods! ;) ):
They clearly have a much higher requirement for the load the floor needs to hold. I assume they want to declare it a room. I'm just wanting to make the loft space more accessible to thrown the christmas tree up there and a few bits and pieces.

Triple girder truss? Lol, if you want to convert buy a different house mate. (y)

"I'm not looking to do a loft conversion".
Now I remember why I don;t use this forum. no one knows anything.
full of useless trolls.

I went up in the loft and took this pic. hope its okay ....
I saw one video using a modular metal system. In one case it was basically a metal square / cube that went around the area to be removed to brace it.

Another Q, those support bars going from left to right, how important are they? I noticed one is split. Looks like it was poorly installed, rather than moving.

View attachment 289505
Why don't you try and make use of the space above the box trusses? The timber 4" x 1" is bracing and is important. If you were to make a raised platform, you could plyboard this section and do away with the top bracings as long as the ply is secured to the girder truss.

full of useless trolls.

To be fair, if you cut parts of your roof, it will fall down. It has been designed to take the weight of the tiles and a bit of snow, using the minimum amount of timber so it can be made as cheaply as possible.

If you want to open it up, you will have to strengthen it, as if it was a loft conversion.

You absolutely do need a structural engineer, anything you remove will alter the structure, you'll also need Building Control approval, a builder or loft conversion company would both be suitable though I suspect a loft conversion company would only be interested in a full conversion, either will need drawings to follow, your SE could probably oblige there.

full of useless trolls.

No, basically you just want someone to tell you to go ahead and do what you want.
You posted on here for advice. You have been given advice along with the reasons for that advice. If you are not happy with the responses then you should ask yourself why aren't you happy with them.
You may find, (if you are totally honest with yourself), that the answer is, because the replies are correct and you can't go knocking bits of roofing supports out just to bung your Christmas tree up there.

His question was simple enough and the answer is simple, get a loft conversion company , they will do what is necessary if it can be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back