removing mastic from an oak worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an oak worktop in our kitchen and my husband just did some very ‘creative’ backsplash tiling followed by some of the worst mastic-ing you have ever seen. The mastic is so bad it needs to come off and get put back on (by someone else!). I know that there are solvents you can get to help remove mastic, but will this damage the oak worktop? If so, what’s the best way to get rid of the mastic?

Is there an easier way to seal the tiles against the worktop other than having to re-mastic with one of those guns? Like a pre-made strip that you can press into place?

Sponsored Links
There is a stuff on the market called silicone eater...available in b and q I think...give that a go before you divorce the ol man!

Yes there are seals, but the good ones need to be fitted before the tiles - so not a lot of use to you and the post-fit ones that I've come across look really naff.

Sorry, not a lot of help - be gentle on the old man, we all had to start somewhere!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back