Removing mastik, thinset, from concrete foundation

H

hlail

I have recently removed 2-inch ceramic tiles from our entry (with hammer and chisel). Left behind is the webbing (mastik?) that held the tiles together when they were originally laid down and the old thinset mortar. I am having a very difficult time getting it up off of our concrete floor underneath. A hammer and chisel is only semi-effective. One reference book I have shows using a long handled floor scraper, but I don't think this will get it up (it's really stuck on there). There must be a quicker and more effective way to do this. Should I consider a floor sander? Is there a chemical that would work (and not damage the concrete)?

Sponsored Links
hello hlail
as your from across the pond , you can get grout remover , the stuff here in the uk is good , but use carefully an wear safety gloves , goggles an face mask

You think grout remover would work on thinset mortar (adhering tiles to foundation)? The grout in between tiles came up easily with a hammer. But this mortar (used to secure tiles to floor) really bonded well with our concrete. Not coming out easily at all. I'll call our local hardware store and see what they have. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a great day!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back