Old tile removal on cement floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed ceramic tile from cement floor and plan to replace with porcelain tile. Some old tile residue still remains on the cement floor. I had to hand chisel most of the tile off. Most of the old thinset has been chiseled off.
Question - how smooth does the underlyng surface need to be? Will some surface irregularities bother the new tile adhering to the cement? The old thinset and cermaic tiles were in no danger of coming off.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think any roughness will be much of a problem. You can always paint the rough areas with a concrete bonding agent and then apply a thin skim coat of concrete mix (or brick mortar), and just smooth either one before they become too hard.

Here, do this.

Google "Ontario Tile" or "Ontario Tile Setters".

That web site is owned by Harry Dunbar who's a retired tile setter who gives free ceramic floor tiling advice to DIY'ers on the forum he hosts on his web site. He'll give you info you can take to the bank. I met Harry years ago, and he's forgotten more about setting floor tiles than I'll ever know.

Nestor -
Thanks for the advice. That sounds like a good plan. I will contact Harry also.

Wilton

Sponsored Links
As long as the thin set is not higher than the size trowel you will be using it will be okay. I do recogmend you get it all off.Put water on the concrete and clean well. let dry and buy a bottle of latex and apply to concrete pure strength using a sponge. Let dry and use a multiporpose thinset and it will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back