removing mitremate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

this is my first post on here, i tried to attach a image i dont know if it worked or not..

just had some carpentry work done there is 3 sets of architrave i am not happy with and its the same problem on all 3 of them..

the mitres are all perfect its just on 3 of the sets 1 of the legs is cut short and has a gap from the floor..

they are glued together at the miters with that adhesive spray stuff..

i have 4 lengths left over, what im hoping is that i can just take off the 3 legs that are short and get my carpenter to replace the short legs with the right size legs, but will the fact that there will be dried adhesive spray on the mitre of the old head that where going to be refitting the new leg to affect the join?, if so is there a way to get the glue off, or is it looking like im going to have to replace the whole 3 sets?

thamks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191221-213145_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191221-213145_Photos.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 335
Sponsored Links
another pic..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191221-215916_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191221-215916_Photos.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 304
and here is another example,

this head as you can see is cut to short, so what i would like to do is just put a new head on top of these legs instead of replacing the whole set... is this possible?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191221-215948_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191221-215948_Photos.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 313
Mitre Mate, etc can be removed by sanding - just wrap a piece of MDF or the like in sand paper to get a flat sanding block. It's just a bit more awkward if it's in situ. For the short leg I'd try to just remove the offending leg and replace that, making sure that I got the length right this time (tip: cut the mitre first, flip the leg upside down and rest on the floor, mark the bottom of the leg directly from the head to get the correct length - don't measure). For the short head I'd probably take the whole architrave set off, break it, clean-up the joints (a super light cut on the mitre saw can sometimes do the trick for the mitres on the legs) and redo it all. You can use the short leg from the other door to make-up a new head.

Surely, though, if he got it wrong first time round, he'll maybe do it wrong again?

Sponsored Links
Mitre Mate, etc can be removed by sanding - just wrap a piece of MDF or the like in sand paper to get a flat sanding block. It's just a bit more awkward if it's in situ. For the short leg I'd try to just remove the offending leg and replace that, making sure that I got the length right this time (tip: cut the mitre first, flip the leg upside down and rest on the floor, mark the bottom of the leg directly from the head to get the correct length - don't measure). For the short head I'd probably take the whole architrave set off, break it, clean-up the joints (a super light cut on the mitre saw can sometimes do the trick for the mitres on the legs) and redo it all. You can use the short leg from the other door to make-up a new head.

Surely, though, if he got it wrong first time round, he'll maybe do it wrong again?

When you say remove the offending leg do you mean to remove the short leg?... and for the set which has the short head is this what you are saying i should do, take the set off and detach the short head from the legs, then clean up the joints e.g (remove the mitremate) off of the 2 legs that i am going to be attaching a new head to by cutting it off with a mitre saw? wont cutting them with a mitre saw make them even shorter?

When you say remove the offending leg do you mean to remove the short leg?...
Yes

and for the set which has the short head is this what you are saying i should do, take the set off and detach the short head from the legs, then clean up the joints e.g (remove the mitremate) off of the 2 legs that i am going to be attaching a new head to by cutting it off with a mitre saw? wont cutting them with a mitre saw make them even shorter?
Only if you don't know how to use a mitre saw to shave-off a fraction of a millimetre! It is possible to use a power mitre saw to remove a tiny fraction of material because as you surmise removing more will be counter productive. If you don't get the old Mitre Mate off you probably won't be able to produce a nice tight joint (it tends to leave a very rough mating surface if/when you break an existing joint). It is also far more difficult to accurately cut a head to fit two existing fixed in position legs (and get tight mitre joints) than it is to refit the lot in the same sequence that they were originally installed, i.e. head first then legs.

Yes

Only if you don't know how to use a mitre saw to shave-off a fraction of a millimetre! It is possible to use a power mitre saw to remove a tiny fraction of material because as you surmise removing more will be counter productive. If you don't get the old Mitre Mate off you probably won't be able to produce a nice tight joint (it tends to leave a very rough mating surface if/when you break an existing joint). It is also far more difficult to accurately cut a head to fit two existing fixed in position legs (and get tight mitre joints) than it is to refit the lot in the same sequence that they were originally installed, i.e. head first then legs.

Ok sounds like a plan for the set which has the short head. As for the set which has the short legs, sanding the mite joint of the head that i will be attaching the new leg to sounds really awkward with it in place, it would also scratch my plastered walls as well as it would be rubbing on the wall to, would superglue remover do the trick instead?

you explain things really well btw.

As for the set which has the short legs, sanding the mite joint of the head that i will be attaching the new leg to sounds really awkward with it in place, it would also scratch my plastered walls as well as it would be rubbing on the wall to, would superglue remover do the trick instead?
Sorry, thought it was just the one leg. As it is both then I'd have the lot off, cut new legs and refix it. I've never bothered with Superglue remover - just seems like a waste of time and money to me when a bit of sanding and a board will achieve the same effect. I'd also be concerned about the remover contaminating the surfaces and making the subsequent glue bonds weaker

Sorry, thought it was just the one leg. As it is both then I'd have the lot off, cut new legs and refix it. I've never bothered with Superglue remover - just seems like a waste of time and money to me when a bit of sanding and a board will achieve the same effect. I'd also be concerned about the remover contaminating the surfaces and making the subsequent glue bonds weaker

Sorry i worded it wrong, when i said 'short legs' i was referring to 3 different sets which have 1 short leg on them
I am going to remove the short leg on all 3 of these sets and leave the head and other leg, it is going to be awkward on these particular sets trying to sand (clean up) the mitre joint of the head im fitting the new leg to while its in place, superglue remover sounds easier

I'd have said that prying the head up carefully at one end some 5 to 10mm and holding it up with a couple of packers or wedges would allow you the sand the joint without worrying about the wall, especially if you tape a a cornflake packet to the wall beneath the joint to protect it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back