Removing motor oil from concrete slabs

Sponsored Links
I have

You can get "Oil Stain Remover" in Halfords and B&Q.

The one I prefer is a thick detergent (superior Fairy Liquid). Although Gunk do make one, it is not the brown smelly degreaser they sell for engines. You can tell the difference from the instructions; traditional old gunk must not be used with water; the detergents can be.

Pour it on and scrub well with a nylon brush or broom; leave for a while and wash off with a hose. You may need several applications, but you do not have to let the concrete dry between applications. The newer the stain is, the easier to remove. Old, dirty, black oil stains worse than fresh.

Do not leave the dirty mixture standing on yopur concrete as it will stain as it dries out. Brush it down a drain.

Sponsored Links
I reckon caustic soda is best. Then use an acidic brick cleaner to help get rid of the metal deposits if the oil is old.

And if you're still getting oil drips on the slabs, use a shovel full of builders sand brushed in to get up most of the oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back