Removing mould from wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon.

I've just moved a plastic art folder that was behind a couch only to find the wallpaper behind the art folder is covered in mould. It's in my front room and I think it's been there about a year.

I'm assuming long term I'll need to redo the wallpaper.

Short term? I was planning on setting up my desk just next to that wall. How can I remove the mould without damaging the wallpaper? My dad (ex-builder) said to use something like Dettol mould killer spray and that the wallpaper will eventually dry out. I simply have no time to repaper now but I really don't want to sit next to that every day. :(

Dunno why the forum has rotated those images.

Sponsored Links
Mix a bleach solution in hot water and wash off the affected area. Let it dry and repaint. This will kill any mould spores on the wall.

Thanks.

We went with the Dettol approach last night. That seems to have worked without damaging the wallpaper.

There seems to be a few little spots left. They are so small its hard to know if they are tiny holes in the wallpaper or mould. Tough scrubbing will only rip the wallpaper so we're just going to leave it and see what happens.

Doesn't matter what you used - it will be back anyway unless you fix the original cause!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could have been the Plastic Art Folder creating a "cold spot" on the walls, if it had been there for a few months.

Doesn't matter what you used - it will be back anyway unless you fix the original cause!

Sorry, i have to agree. You have insufficent insulation in your walls. You will need to consider boosting both the insulation and air flow at some point in the future.

Or you could just turn down the heating, open the windows and reduce possible sources of moisture, eg showering, boiling food, using naked flames, breathing ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back