Removing my freestanding bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Turns out I’ve a small leak somewhere from the underside/back of my bath.

There’s a small delay when turning the tap on to water coming out. So I think it’s something to do with the connection on the sprinkler head or the hoses to the tap from the mains water.

Either way… I need to effectively remove the bath, but I’m worried about damaging the waste. I’ve attached photos of the bath, what the waste looks like and the waste before the bath was fitted by a professional bathroom fitter.

Will I need to un-bolt the plug from inside the bath? Or will it just be a case of lifting the bath? Should it be on a flexible waste or will it possible be a straight down pipe so I need to lift the tub straight up?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

John

Attachments

• B8E586A5-99C2-486E-A41E-A9E4161737F0.jpeg
    B8E586A5-99C2-486E-A41E-A9E4161737F0.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9566.jpeg
    IMG_9566.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 70B70E6F-A90F-4C29-B21C-CA34FD742EDE.jpeg
    70B70E6F-A90F-4C29-B21C-CA34FD742EDE.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9504.jpeg
    IMG_9504.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
I would fully expect there to be a flexible waste pipe connecting bath trap to the stub of waste pipe coming up through the floor.
If you put the plug in the plug hole and run water into the bath to part fill it, does the leaking start ? Or does it only leak when water runs out the bath when plug is pulled out ?

Hi Terryplumb, thanks for that. The leak (I strongly believe) isn’t coming from the plug. It’s to do with the taps and a leak of loose connection on them, due to the delay in pressuring. My main worry is causing any damage to the waste when removing the bath, rather than the waste being the issue. Not sure if I need to remove the plug/drain from the tub before removing the tub if that makes sense? Or just lift the tub out or up onto some timber battens initially.

Thank you!

As above almost certainly a collection of flexible connections.
They are normally installed by having blocks of timber to lift them whilst making final waste connection.
Then crossed fingers bath's are then silicone sealed down but I have seen left to move in the breeze.
Waste leak would be my first guess.

Sponsored Links
When you pull the shower head out are you able to pull the trim ring up, if you get the trim ring out and pull it up towards the shower head you'd likely have enough gap to get a boroscope in there and see what's happening and what's there before removing anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back