Removing oak beam fireplace mantel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The house that we have recently moved into has an oak mantel fixed to the wall above the fireplace and for the life of me I cannot remove it! So just looking for suggestions on how it might be fixed....

I've looked for recessed screws on all sides incase they're holding it to a bracket - no joy. I've been hammering away at the underside of it incase it's fitted into 'key way' brackets - no joy. I've had a pry bar behind it incase its friction fixed onto metal bars sticking out of the wall or something - no joy! It does rock up and down as though it's fitted onto some sort of bracket but can't work out how it's fixed.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
In my last property I put an oak mantel in, it just slid into place on brackets that went deep into the mantel

I left it to dry out for 2 weeks before fitting it and it was supposedly already dried.

Anyway about 6 months after fitting it it shrunk and twisted ever so slightly, but by doing this meant the mantel was permanently stuck in situ.

I used anchor bolts to put it in place to, so the next owners of the house that want to remove it are going to have a hard time.

Only way really is to cut it so the mantel splits allowing you to remove it without damaging the wall

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back