Removing oil fired central heating system pipes and rads inc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to move out of my house while builders move in and modernise the whole house. Part of that work is installing a new central heating system. To save money I want to remove the old system - radiators, copper piping and tank - and sell the metal for scrap. I am thinking that I need to drain the system and then remove each of the radiators followed by the copper piping. Does anyone have any idiot's guides to doing this work? I am clueless but keen.

Sponsored Links
As the house is being renovated, it is no more than a demolition job,
a hack saw will easiliy cut through copper pipes, obviously you will have to lift floorboards to remove what is underneath
make sure the oil is turned off at the storage tank before cutting into any oil pipes and remember that an oil fired boiler can weigh upto 150Kg depending on the model, so you will need to consider this before moving the boiler - a H/D sack barrow with pnumatic tyres would be ideal
an empty oil tank is considered contaminated waste especially plastic ones ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back