Removing old BT boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two old internal phone installations that have no external wiring. I’d like to remove them.

However the cables just won’t come out of the wall in the house. Is it ok to just trim it inside, pin it in the brick and plaster it up?

Sponsored Links
No problem with that at all - just make sure you seal up the external side where the cable exits to avoid leaks.

If the cable is still on the outside then try to pull it through, that way you prevent anything bridging the air gap of the bricks (if there is one).

From your description, the cables don't connect to an external circuit so there will be no power in the lines, so nothing to worry about.

Thanks @UncleB does that mean I can’t move my existing BT master socket?

I had one installed around the back of my furniture, I’m now doing a major redecoration and it’s in a bad position now

Sponsored Links
Thanks @UncleB does that mean I can’t move my existing BT master socket?

I though there was no external wiring? If there isn't then you can do what you like with the internal socket as it does not connect to anything.

If there is external wiring feeding to this then it is a different story. BT own the line up to the socket and are responsible for its maintenance, so if you do something and break it or cause damage that interferes with other nearby lines (eg shorting wires) then they have the right to charge you for the call out of their engineer and all repair fees.

I would either ask BT to come and reposition it (you still pay for the service - something like £100-150 I think) or can get a capable phone engineer to do it for you - it is pretty easy to do but if you have broadband connecting to it then there can be issues if the cable is crimped / tightly bent etc which will affect the line speed. I prefer to leave it to the professionals as they will often fix any issues for free if it isn't quite right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back