Re-routing VM phone cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have phone, tv and broadband from Virgin Media via cable.
The phone outlet cable from the brown exterior box goes up 2 stories to an old BT box in a bedroom. It then comes back down to an internal junction and all around the house to several sockets..
The BT line is disconnected (cut when cable installed)
I now have no need of wired phones, using 5 DECT wireless, although I will need to connect the incoming cable to one socket for the Gigaset A/P base. The existing cable is in poor condition.
So, can I simply run a new cable direct from the external VM box to the base and remove all the remaining cables and junction boxes.
Are there any components in the old boxes which are still needed?
Hope this makes sense!?
Thanks and HNY

Sponsored Links
So, can I simply run a new cable direct from the external VM box to the base and remove all the remaining cables and junction boxes.
Yes - if that old cable is still in use.
Newer VM installs have the phone provided as VOIP, the phone plugs into the router. There is no separate phone cable or socket.

Yes - if that old cable is still in use.
Newer VM installs have the phone provided as VOIP, the phone plugs into the router. There is no separate phone cable or socket.
Thanks for that.
The phone cable comes direct from the external box to the old BT junction box (internal) and then to my Gigaset base,(via a plug in socket) not to the VM router, so old installation I presume.
I just wasn't sure if the old box has internal capacitors etc which may still be needed

Sponsored Links
Virgin are in the process of moving all phone services to VOIP, so the Gigaset base will then have to connect to the phone socket on their router.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back